Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blackberry Vodka

 

I’ve always loved blackberries, but I’ve never had bushes of my own; when you go and pick them in the wild or at a farm, you can generally manage to eat or can all the berries you pick. However, since moving into a farmhouse with venerable, huge, and productive bushes, I can’t keep up.

Even with the massive amount of blackberries that I have been eating (it has been a lot, I might go Violet Beauregard status and turn into a giant blackberry), I’ve been looking for other things to do with the berries. Since I love flavored vodkas, I thought I’d try my hand at the DIY variety.


Blackberry Vodka Fixins'

Here’s what I did:

1. I picked the juiciest berries- even the ones that were on the edge of being over-ripe- and I picked a TON of them.

2. I put them in a colander, washed them, and patted them dry with a paper towel.

3. I put them in a blender and used the “pulse” button to break them up slightly, but not totally destroy them.

4. I poured that goopey mess into mason jars, filling them between 1/3 and 1/2 full.

5. I poured generic, un-flavored vodka in to fill the jars.

6. I capped the jars and shook them like a dog out of water.

7. I put them on a high shelf out of the sunlight.

What I will do now:

1. Shake them every day or two for a month or two.

2.When I am satisfied that the vodka has gotten enough berry flavor, I will pour the mix through coffee filter to strain out the leftover berry goop.

3. I’ll store the finished blackberry vodka in a pretty bottle and maybe even use it for gifts.


I’ll let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. This looks DELICIOUS! Can't wait to visit you and try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you're lucky I'll bring some with me when I visit! <3

    ReplyDelete