Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rainier Adventures


So last weekend, some friends and I headed up to Mt Rainier for a little relaxation at my friend’s cabin. It was an amazing weekend; we swam in the glacial melt, sunned on the rocks, went hiking in the woods, had some drinks, and I made AMAZING tofu curry.

I find that it is challenging and exciting to cook for a group that includes vegetarians: I was a vegetarian for many years, and cooking for vegetarians gives me the opportunity to use recipes that I don’t usually get to. Most of my cooking lately revolves around at least one kind of meat, and finding ways to satisfy vegetarians and carnivores alike is exciting! I recently read an article in Saveur magazine about an all-vegetarian Thanksgiving feast, and it has inspired me to work on my vegetarian repertoire.

My curry included tofu, potatoes, mushroom, onions, carrots, and sweet peppers, with red curry and coconut milk, and it turned out FANTASTIC. My special secret was marinating and frying the tofu in soy sauce, and adding a generous portion of honey to the sauce! 

The area around Mt Rainier is spectacular! 

 

 I met a friendly elk along the roadside!


<3<3




2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that first pic is GORGEOUS.

    I think an all-veggie Thanksgiving might be kind of fun, as a challenge. I don't think I could go there as a way of life though. /carnivore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainier is AMAZING.

      And I totally feel the same way re: carnivore... I am just super enjoying making vegetarian recipes that I usually skip right over as I head for meats!

      Delete